Oct 13, 2010

Infant Parrot Costume

For Halloween this year I wanted the boys to have coordinating costumes. I also wanted something easy because I knew I wouldn't have a ton of time to put it together. I found a pirate's costume for John on sale at Carter's for about $13 so I figured Matthew could be a parrot. My plan is to use cardboard to make their wagon into a ship! I am so excited!

So, I made Matthew's parrot costume all by my lonesome! :) It was super easy (which means it also isn't fancy!) For a baby who will be in a stroller on Halloween night, I think this is good enough, don't you?




In case anyone else wants to make a quick parrot costume, here is how I threw it together.

1. I started with one of John's old white onesies and dyed it red using the directions I found on Made. This was my first time dyeing anything and it was pretty easy! I didn't do a great job of making it a consistent color across the onesie, but for a Halloween costume it did the trick.




2. Using felt I cut out the feathers for the arms. I used red for my biggest piece and then layered on the yellow and blue. I used fabric glue to hold it all together. (No sewing for this project!) Once the pieces were glued together, I glued them to the sleeves of the onesie, folding the feathers over the top of the arms.





**The sleeves of the onesie are longer than Matthew's arms so they will be rolled up when he actually wears the costume. So if you make this, be sure to make the width of your feather pieces go the end of your child's arms!**

3. I layed the back pieces the same way except I kept the pieces straight across the top so I could attach it right at the waist line.





**and how cute would this be if I had trimmed the edge of the feathers at the waist line with ric rac?! But I didn't have any in my stash of ribbons. darn!**

So, there is it! An easy and cheap homemade costume!





I can't wait for my cuties to get all dressed up! Are you making any cute costumes? I would love to see them!

I link up to these parties!

7 comments:

  1. Oh! What a cute cute parrot outfit! Love it!!!

    Thanks for stopping by (at Red Ted Art) and telling me about printing with forks! Definitely great mind think alike!! The fork is great too!

    Maggy
    PS Do link up to Kids Get Crafty if you fancy it!! Would love to have you "on board"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Can't wait to see the boys all dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever!!! Great job!!! Can't wait to see the mateys in the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute. My oldest was a pirate for halloween 2 years ago wish I had thought about making my daughter a parrot...what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how precious is that?!! What a great idea and I love how easy it is to create!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO cute!! I love coordinating costumes, especially when they are super easy! Great work.

    Amie @ http://kittycatsandairplanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)