Oct 9, 2010

Graphic Halloween Shirt - Tutorial!

Have I mentioned before that shopping for my precious baby boys is depressing? It is so hard to find cute boy stuff! I HATE that I go to a store like Target, Old Navy, or Kohl's (yes, we are on a budget here!) and there are racks and racks AND RACKS of girl clothes but only half the selection for boys. And usually the selction for boys have dorky/ugly cartoon figures. Yuck.

Thankfully my mom loves to shop for her grandkids and goes to the 'good stores'! So the boys always have some cute clothes from Janie and Jack which are a little too pricey for me. I am also thankful that I have found a couple fabulous blogs that seem to focus on making clothes for boys and among those I fell in love with I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar, who had a tutorial for a Captain America shirt. I saw this post a while ago and decided to try to make a Halloween shirt for John using a similar design.

How cute is John John?! (and he looks so old!)




So, here is how I made it.

Supplies:


-shirt (duh) I got this one at Target on sale for $1.50. Awesome!
-fabric paint
-brush (I used a sponge brush)
-freezer paper (I had to order mine from a hardware store. Weird!)
-iron
-scissors/Xacto knife

1. Print your design to whatever size you would like it to be. (I have heard you can print directly onto the freezer paper, but I always forget to do that! One day I will try it out!) Lay your paper over a sheet of freezer paper and cut out the parts of the design you want to PAINT. (see pic below for this to make sense!)

Here is the design I created on the computer using Microsoft Publisher and a pumpkin image I found on The Graphics Fairy.



2. Iron the freezer paper to your shirt, waxy side down. This will create the stencil on your shirt. Looking at the picture below, you can see that I will paint the grey parts. Everything that is under the white freezer paper will stay grey since it is covered up by the freezer paper.




3. Start painting! I painted the pumpkin white and the outer circle white. I used a sponge brush and tried to paint it to look 'distressed' but kind of dabbing the paint around and not making it nice and fully painted.



Once it dried I painted the remaining ring orange, using the same distressed technique. Well, I am pretty sure it isn't a technique, but whatev.



4. Peel off the freezer paper to reveal your final product! To seal the paint, place a cloth over your shirt and iron.



5. Put on your favorite little pumpkin and admire.






Easy, cute, and cheap. My kind of project!

I think Matthew approves!




I link up to these parties!

9 comments:

  1. You're so clever, and DIY printing is indeed
    easy. He's set for the Halloween and little
    brother thinks so too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cute! I would love to try something like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Nice to 'meet' you! Your tee shirt is so cute! I wish I could get freezer paper here in Canada, I'd love to give it a try. You have such a sweet blog. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Me again! After reading this post, and seeing your frustration about finding cute boys clothes, I saw this post
    http://6dukes.blogspot.com/2010/07/cars-to-go.html
    I thought you might like it. It is so cute, I think your son would love it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite kind of festive wear....subtle, but cute. You did a fantastic job.

    I'd love it if you'd link up to my Top-toberfest show and tell link party. I'm celebrating shirts all week long and would love to have you join in on the fun. Link up past projects as well (so long as they are top related).

    http://leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com/p/top-toberfest.html

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call for USA & Canada toll free phone number 1844 (857) 4846 QuickBooks Payroll Desktop programming is utilized bundle by the greater part of the little organizations, and bookkeeping
    organizations inside the USA. You can email us to find fast solutions for your QuickBooks related issues This item framework gives stock association and changed news gadgets that connect with you to investigate your insight and gather knowing decisions. QuickBooks is the center bookkeeping apparatus for improving clearness and particularity in proficient concerns. One can
    either specify this help to the highlights of it or the flexible forms that give assistance.

    Related More Click Here:

    QuickBooks Payroll TAX Support Phone Number
    QuickBooks Desktop Support Toll Free Number
    QuickBooks Pro Customer Service Phone Number
    QuickBooks Premier Online Service Phone Phone NUMbeR
    QuickBooks Mac For Tech Support PH0Ne Number
    QuickBooks Point Of Sale (Pos) Support Phone Number

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)