Jul 18, 2011

Build-a-Library Baby Shower!

After what felt like months of prepping and planning, we finally had our Build-a-Library baby shower last weekend! We had an amazing turn out (about 40 guests!) and the shower was a complete success! Not only did my sister receive many many gifts, but she now has 50 new books for Baby Emma's new library. For that reason alone, I am SO glad we chose this theme for the shower!

So, here is a huge post on everything that we had going on a this shower!

Remember these?



We started out with these precious invites that we made to set the theme of the shower. I love that we asked guests to bring books so baby Emma is now set for a while on book!

Having a guest list of 60 people, we knew hosting this shower at one of our homes wouldn't fit everyone. So, we had the shower at a local botannical gardens that had a nice open space in an air conditioned building. This was a nice room to rent, but that meant we had to plan for much more in decor so the room wouldn't be so plain. Since we were having guests bring books, we based all the decorations around books.

Starting with the sign in table...

We put up a chalkboard at this table to help welcome guests when they arrived. My sister made the chalkboard for the party (and has a wonderful blog HERE for all her remodeling projects!). Isn't it cute?!



My sister, Allison, and I made a pretty diaper cake. I used to not like diaper cakes because the diapers get all rolled up and funky. However, I saw the swirled diaper cakes which are much prettier and are easier to make. I used an old baby book to make paper flowers for the decorations as well as the paper bunting topper. I wrote 'emma' on the bunting with a marker. I love the simple look of the cake!





We used a quote from the book "Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes" by Mem Fox for an activity during the shower, so we ordered a copy of the book for guests to sign the inside cover. I think it will be so sweet for the baby to read later and see all the names of the people who were at the shower!



The third item on this table were the party favors. I used the library card template to make a thank-you card. We made easy bookmarks out of scrap material and paper clips. After clipping the bookmarks to the cards, we set them out for guests to take with them on their way home. Easy and practical!



Moving on to the fireplace...



We made a canvas quote from Dr. Seuss' "Oh, The Places You'll Go". Didn't it turn out so sweet for a baby girl? I posted the instructions on how to make this canvas HERE. It was SUPER easy to make and it fits the theme of the shower perfectly. I also love that Emily can take it home and put it in her nursery after the shower. Emily has a collection of E's at her house, so we took those and put them on the fireplace since the baby's name will be Emma. Another personal touch for the decorations.



Again using an old baby book, I made a bunting to hang across the fireplace. Another easy project that looks so cute at this shower.



The food table...

We had tons of food (of course!). My sisters and I all have an old set of Beatrix Potter baby dishes from when we were babies. So we tried to use those for some of the food items. We used books covered in pink paper and our own kid's books as part of the decoration on the food table as well.

For the cupcakes, I made the cupcake toppers out of...you guessed it...old baby books! I used the cricut to cut out a bunch of circles and then hot glued them to tooth picks. Easy? YES!













Guest tables...

We found a thick children's book at a thrift store, cut out the pages, and then turned them into table runners. We simply hot glued the pages together and then used scalloped scissors to trim the edges. We had grand plans of making these all ruffled and cute, but it was taking WAY to look to do all the folding and sewing. So, we went with the simple look. We added flowers, candles, and books for more decoration.







At each seat, we put out a post card with a quote from "Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes". I made the postcards at Vistaprint when they were offering 100 free postcards. So I just had to pay shipping for these! We also printed out instructions for each guest that asked them to write a message of encouragement for Emily and Jeremy for certain time periods (ie when the baby is 1 month, 2 months, etc). Then we collected those, put an address sticker on it, and will mail them to her at the appropriate time. Seeing as how this is Emily's first baby, I think it will be so nice for her to get some encouraging mail especially on those days when you want to rip your hair out! :) We didn't want to play games at the shower (and didn't really have time considering Emily had to open a million presents) so we thought this would be a nice activity they could do at their leisure while chatting with friends at their tables.



The craft table...

Last, but not least, we had a craft table set up for the shower. Again, we didn't want to play games, so this was another activity for guests to do at their leisure. I originally wanted to have people make onesies, but I feel like that has become too popular. Plus, having 40 people makine onesies might difficult! After doing a google search, I found an ABC printable book on another blog. (The free printable isn't offered there anymore!) I loved the idea and it fit the shower perfectly. We put directions on a chalkboard and set out markers for people to make their pages. Now that the shower is over, I will laminate the pages and bind them together for Baby Emma! We used the Beatrix Potter nursery dishes for candy at this table.













I made the banner above the craft table by hot glueing circles that were cut out of baby books. I became best friends with my hot glue gun with all these projects!

We ended up making decorations for the gift table. With over 40 guests, Em got a TON of gifts so she is extremely lucky to have such caring people in her life!



So, there you have it! I think we had a wonderful shower for my sister and she is set for the new baby. I can't wait for my neice to arrive in September!!





I link up to these parties!

25 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVE ALL the ideas!!! I'm definitely going to have to use some for future baby showers. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby shower ideas! Perfect unique theme for a baby shower.

    Head over the bearrabbitbear.wordpress.com. We are having our first give-away with some items perfect for a little girl- 2 sets of our crocheted hair accessories.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! What a wonderful shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, this is making me want to get pregnant right now! Such an awesomely creative shower! Your sister is lucky!!
    Wish I would have known about you earlier- we did a library-inspired wedding and your ideas turned out much better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! It looks original!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jen, I saw this link on Sugar Bee Crafts!! YAY for you! :) I agree with her feature, this was an awesome idea for a party!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable shower! I don't suppose you would be willing to give me the invitation file (pretty please!)? I am throwing a baby shower for my book loving sister-in-law. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! The theme is so perfect. Love everything that you did! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen this type of wonderful shower before.All things are well managed and cake was awesome. pooh baby shower

    ReplyDelete
  10. This shower is amazing! Can you tell us which template (on vista print) you used to make the postcards (ten little toes)? I am throwing a shower soon with this theme and I think that these cards are just the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome, entertaining and full of informative good stuff!! Thanks for sharing such a nice stuff. Kids Line

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's an amazing baby shower! I love the theme you choose as well. Those hanging decors are pretty stunning.

    Cheers xxxx
    Romina @ Easyday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. I was wondering if you still had the link or file for the baby alphabet book printables.
    Thanks in Advance for any help, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great. It is a good stuff for great entertainment and fun party, I'll include in my menu. baby shower party favors

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you tell me how you made the invitations? I'm planning a similar party and love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I cut the backing cardstock to size (mine were 4x6 to fit the envelopes I found) and attached the cardpockets. I buy cardpockets usually from Amazon and get the self-adhesive kinds. I used an ink pad to ink the edges and then put the shower info card insert into the pocket. Very easy to make! :) Good luck!

      Delete
  16. great, i love that,
    i love DIY, we will more creative :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. your article is very nice, and your blog is very Awesome!

    http://sweetbabyshowersandgifts.com/
    Baby shower

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome baby shower!! All your preparations are really awesome. Recently attended my friend’s baby shower at one of San Francisco venues. It was really awesome with excellent preparations. Everything was done by her mom and sister. Had a great time there.

    ReplyDelete

  19. If you are looking for the daily Satta result then visit our website, also you will get to know the tricks to win the Satta and become a Satta king

    ReplyDelete
  20. Waooo Awesome arrangement.
    Gift Best Baby Strollers from my side.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daily Satta Result gali satta result,disawar satta result,Faridabad satta result,satta king,Gaziabad satta result,black satta,satta bajar,satta bazar,satta company result,Leak satta no and more.
    Visit here- dailysatta-result.live

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing such useful information. Its a very nice and informative post. If you want to buy best gas geyser in India than checkout reviews and comparison at cherrycheck.in. Their information will help you to pick the perfect product for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)