Feb 27, 2011

C is for CARS {week 1}

We had a fabulous week working on the letter c using all of John's cars. It actually turned into cars and other modes of transportation since John has so much of those toys around here. It is crazy how all those types of toys have accumulated around here! John showed a lot more interest in this week's activities and only said 'mommy do' for maybe two of the planned activities.

This week I changed things up slightly, only because we had so many themed toys and I organized it all one night while the boys were sleeping. I loaded up all the tot trays, put car themed books in a bucket, and put extra car themed toys all in the 'school' area in our dining room. So, when it was time for school, we ended up staying in that area for a long time just playing with all the fun stuff instead of going back to the living room where we usually play. I think that really helped us get much more accomplished this week and John seemed to be having fun! I also was able to pull out some baby toys so Matthew could join in the fun!

In case any of you were wondering, this is what our little area looked like. We had our small bookshelf with the tot trays and extra toys...



...our books that matched the theme (well, some were in John's room since he wants us to read those for naps!)...



...and our sensory bin.




So, here is what we did...or at least what I got pictured! and fair warning- lots of pictures in the post!!!

John completed this train puzzle several times this week. I was so proud of him because he did it all by himself and didn't need my help! He was so proud of himself and would say 'Mommy, look what I did!'. Too cute!





He worked on more puzzles. I got these from the dollar spot at Target at Christmas...



I use cards of transportation items and road signs and found objects that we had around the house. I put the objects in a box and layed the cards out on the table. John had to match put the objects with the correct card. So, really it was just another easy matching game, but just presented in a different way. I was SUPER impressed because John put the stop sign and do not enter sign in the wrong spot but self-corrected without me saying anything to him. We did this activity twice and even though it was easy for him, we were able to connect to our week's theme.







John and his cousin, Bella, painted using their cars and then had a car wash in the backyard to clean them off. Those two kids had a blast with this activity!





They also played with the sensory bin.



John got a 'Cars' marker book for his birthday so he colored with that a couple times. I love that these are 'magic' markers that don't mark anywhere but the paper, although I don't love that there is a bit of a delay for the color to appear on the paper when you actually use the markers. Guess that is the price you pay to not have your house colored with markers!



We used color cards from PreKinders to sort John's cars by color. He was too funny and had to have the cars all facing the same direction. Since we had a TON of cars by the end (30 to be exact...we counted!) we took turns pulling a car from the box and putting it in the correct column. I know you are supposed to let your kids do these type of things on their own, but I thought he might get burnt out on the activity AND he can always use practice on taking turns! I put the cards across horizontally so that way we could also indirectly be graphing with the cars. We counted each column of cars at the end and John was able to count most of them correctly. Yay!!





I found this Cars stamp set at the Dollar Tree. It was a short lived activity, but the set came with paper, three stamps, ink pad, and stickers. All for a DOLLAR!!! What?!??! I also got a Cars puzzle, but we didn't get around to doing that one.





We used the Shape Book from this tot pack. John wasn't super interested in it, but he did find all the shapes on the cars so I guess that is what counts!



We read lots of books, including 'Red Light, Green Light'. After I read it to John and Bella, I taught them how to play. It was so cute! John mostly understood how to play even though he didn't stop running right when I said red light. Bella just copied what John did! :)



Using a printable from 1+1+1=1, John matched pictures of cars with the correct number of cars. John can get 1, 2, and 3 perfectly and would automatically guess 5 without counting when he saw several cars in the picture. So, at least I know he knows that 5 is more than 3 so it is a reasonable guess! :)



Using printables from Homeschool Creations, John practiced 'spelling' car, boat, and plane. We only got about half way through this activity when he lost interest.



Last, but not least, we painted a traffic sign from www.theprintableshare.com.



Holy canoli, we did a lot this week!!!

Tiny Tot with Matthew (who is 7 months this week! how crazy is that?!)...

Playing with transportation snap toys:



Playing with a steering wheel toy:



John had to play too!



Reading a transportation book:



Is anyone still reading anymore? Leave me a comment about this post and I will do a giveaway for being such a wonderful reader and powering through the longest post EVER! Being totally serious! I think John had fun, don't you?! Guess I had better get started on gathering stuff for Letter C Week part II while John is at Nana's for the night! :)



I link up to these parties!

10 comments:

  1. John and Matthew are very lucky to have you as their Mommy AND teacher. You put alot of hard work into their daily activities.
    And yes, I read all your posts, even this very long one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed in how you find time to do all that you do. You are doing such a great job so keep up the great work!
    I also read all your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found you through 1+1+1=1. I love all your ideas! Now you have me excited about doing a transportation theme with my boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm still reading. :) read all of it, in fact. saw many similar toys in your house that we have in ours. :) i am doing R for race cars today with my 3 yr old so i loved seeing how i could tweek it for him. loved how you had him spelling words. i need to do that more with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the week you had, and LOVE all the pictures!! I always love pictures - the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you do a fabulous job with the boys!! ...very cute boys, I might add! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the truck painting and washing. My little one loves books as well. Nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great week! Jonathan loves everything that moves-- so I'm going to remember some of the ideas you shared when we get to C is for Car- hopefully next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the great Transportation links... I am starting a Transportation unit next week (in PK), so this is very helpful!

    By the way, I found your blog through Kimbo's blog.

    Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all that you did in your posting! Great theme and ideas. You must hate my posts:-) They are always long. I am so bad at editing!!! Kerri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)