Jun 13, 2010

Teacher Themed Retirement Party!

My MIL, Diana, retired after teaching for 40 years!! Yes, FORTY years! So, my sister-in-law and I (and the hubbies!) threw a retirement party for her this weekend. It turned out great and so I had to share!

First I searched online for retirement parties. Let me tell you that there isn't much to be found in terms of retirement parties! So, I found a cute baby shower and graduation party that had a school theme and used those for inspirations.

I made this invitation using Photoshop Elements. I am still learning how to use the program, but thought the invites turned out cute! I then printed them at Walmart as just regular old photos and mailed them off. It was much cheaper than ordering fancy invitations!



I also made coordinating decorations such as the napkin rings, bottle labels, and cupcake toppers:







My SIL, Kristin, helped me get crafty with all the decorations. Even John helped me make the tastiest peanut butter rice kripie treats. (I got the recipe at Big Mama, but just don't feel like searching her blog for the exact post. If you find it, they are AMAZING!)





For the main food table, we tried to think of types of food that would be served in a cafeteria. So, we went with chicken fingers, pizza, corn, mashed potatoes, rolls, etc. It was super yummy! We used some old math textbooks I had to decorate along with the traditonal red apples and teacher-y pencils!














Yummy cupcakes and a cute carved watermelon fruit bowl was in a seperate room.








For favors, we had the typical high school snacks- nutty bars, starcrunch, cookies, rice krispie treats, and oatmeal creme pies.







Last, but not least, we had our drink station with personalized water bottles, sodas, and 'adult' beverages.




Hopefully Diana had a great time with all of her friends! I know she is ready for her exciting new life as being a retired lady!

17 comments:

  1. The party was a huge success!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana is so lucky to have such a wonderful, caring and creative family. Lots of detail which made the party fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I KNOW how lucky I am ! The party was beyond anything I had even thought about. So many people commented on the details ... and how creative my DIL's are ! It was an afternoon of lots of fun and appreciation for wonderful family and friends. Celebrating the end of one "season" of life and the start of another! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Such cute details just make a party! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun party, and the food looks DELISH!

    Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! you did great! It all looks terrific!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related No.11!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever! I love the watermelon!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the party turned out FANTASTIC! I love all of it, especially the ABC carved watermelon! Way to go! Thanks for linking up your party to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great party - love that watermelon! Thanks for sharing with Craftastic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! I love the carved out watermelon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. my Mom is retiring after 30 years and this gave me the most incredible ideas! I am not the most creative person but I really want this to be special for her and now I think I am on the right track! Absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this to us! The entire party seemed a lot of fun and Diana must have been surprised and overwhelmed to see this. My friend's mom will be retiring three months from now and we're thinking of having a party for her, too... I hope it will be as successful as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, that looks like a fun retirement party. How I like to take a bite to those apple. LoL.
    Seriously, that was a brilliant idea. If I may suggest more retirement party ideas, hope you don't mind. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Cheers!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a awesome site I recomomded to visit this site look intersting and easy to read
    Dianabol Cycle for beginners

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)