Aug 7, 2011

O is for Ocean - tot school

Last week we worked on 'O is for Ocean' in tot school. We didn't get to all of the activities, but I thought I would share some of our favorites from the week.

I wanted John to practice his pouring and transferring skills, but I am always worried to bring out the pinto beans for fear of Matthew choking on the beans. I remembered that I once made a sensory bin of Rice Krispies for John for the very same reason, and thought using Cheerios would be perfect for our O week! The goal was for John to scoop up his O's with the shovel and put them in the bucket without any dropping. He actually did REALLY well for the first 3 or 4 scoops and then went straight to eating the cereal. :) Matthew loved eating the cereal too!



When Brad and I went to Charleston, one of the souveniers for the boys was the book 'Good Night Ocean'. We read the page about sea urchins and then made our own sea urchins with play-doh and tooth picks. We counted out different numbers of toothpicks to make the different sea urchins. At the end, John just put all the toothpicks in one sea urchin. He thought it was really fun to touch the end of the toothpick and then say 'OUCH!'. I only had pointed toothpicks so it made me nervous that Matthew would get hurt, so if I did this again, I would use rounded toothpicks.





Before it go hot, (so at 8 am!), we went to the backyard and 'fished' for numbers, letters, and sea creatures. The boys loved playing with the water and John even gave his animals a ride in the car. I just let the boys play how they wanted with this and didn't even get into asking 'which letter did you just catch?!'. I was lazy I guess! :)







Check back later this week when I share the arts and crafts project mys sister planned for the kiddos!

Please be a fan of lil Mop Top on facebook!! I link up to these parties!

2 comments:

  1. I love the little buggy picture. Absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for an ocean unit (the sea urchins are too cute)! And I love your idea of using cereal for scooping activities for little ones who could choke on beans! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)